Every job, no matter how unconnected to your future graduate career it might seem, represents the opportunity for you to demonstrate that you have skills and experience gained in the ‘real world.’
A lot of the skills you might gain in a part-time job can be transferable, such as being able to multitask, work under pressure, timekeeping, and many more!
As well as this, a good relationship with your boss at your part-time job will be helpful when you are applying for full-time graduate jobs, as they will be able to give an excellent reference.
This can help you demonstrate that you have the skills and abilities that graduate employers are looking for. You might know very well that you can do XYZ, but how else are going to demonstrate this to an employer unless you can give a real life example?
Jobshop Top Tips on finding work:
Be selective! Don’t drop your CV off everywhere, make a list of the places you’d like to work and why.
Be vigilant! Many of the bars, cafes, restaurants, and retail outlets advertise themselves via a ‘help wanted’ sign in their window.
Be proactive! Google the places you’d like to work and check their career or jobs pages. Sign up for their email job alerts and get jobs sent to your inbox.
Be persistent! Remember the early bird catches the worm, so keep checking, at least once a week!
Be patient! It may take several applications, interviews and rejections before you get a job offer.
What sort of jobs are available in the Medway towns?
Medway covers Chatham, Gillingham, Rochester, Rainham and Strood. The towns have excellent transport links making it easy to commute between the different Medway towns.
- There are two big estates, Medway City Estate and Gillingham Business Park. Both estates are home to a range of organisations including KMFM and Veetee Rice.
- Hospitality – There are a high number of bars and restaurants.
- Tourism – There are many tourist attractions in Medway, such as Rochester Castle, Historic Dockyard, Fort Amerst, Jetstream Boat Tours, Diggerland, to name a few!
- Retail – Medway has a few retail outlets including Chatham Pentagon, Hempstead Valley and The Dockside.
Getting around Medway – if you have a car or willing to travel there is a wider pool of jobs available in the area such as:
- Fruit picking, packing food items or assembling goods – factories in villages and surrounding areas.
- Fashion retail at Bluewater Shopping Centre – approx. 21 minutes by car from Medway.
- Retail – Maidstone has a large shopping centre, which is 30 minutes away by car, or 40 minutes away by bus.
If you are looking for a job on campus, you can sign up for regular email job alerts on these websites.
If you’re looking for a job close to campus, try these job search websites?
There are lots of supermarkets all across Medway, why not look at their career pages?
Looking for retail work? Large high street retailers all do their own recruitment online. Google by name of the shop for their career pages, eg. Fenwicks, Superdrug, Primark, or M&S!