Why not volunteer at GK Unions?
Welcome to the University of Kent at Medway! As a member of GK Unions there is lots on offer for you, both in terms of fun and future employability, not least of these things being our volunteering opportunities.
Last year, our members raised nearly £5000, and recorded 16,480 hours on their Toolkit.
These hours were completed in a variety of ways:
- Volunteering Opportunities
- Schools – working in local primary schools, helping children with their reading, helping to build confidence and helping run lunch time sports sessions
- Environment – Working with the Kent Wildlife Trust with their conservation work in Medway and volunteering at local Country Parks
- Community – Writing cards to children with lifelong or life threatening conditions through Post Pals charity, helping with Blythswood Care Shoebox Appeal, gifts to children in hospital, Medway Youth Clubs and NHS Health App promotion
- Events - Help out as a Freshers' Welcome Helper, at Freshers' Fair, at Graduation Ceremonies or other events around campus
- Sports Exec – including those on a committee position
- Society Exec - including those on a committee position
- Society, Sport and Volunteering group Committees
- Raise and Give
- Off Campus volunteering
- Local charity
- Community project
Employers are now looking for more than a degree; they are looking for skills in communication, team work and leadership. Volunteering can give you these skills. By recording the hours you spend volunteering on our Toolkit, you can build up a record which can be used in future applications.
So, start volunteering now – record your hours – become more employable!
- Visit the Volunteering Pages on GK Unions website – learn more about what GK Unions has to offer.
- Visit the Volunteering Opportunities page – search through the different areas for a suitable fit for you. (Also check out the societies and sports pages, you may find a group you want to join the committee of.)
- Carry out volunteering! – This is the important bit, make sure you try to have fun! You may be here to help others in need, but you should be able to enjoy yourself, make some new friends and build skills along the way.
- Record your hours – make sure you record all completed hours onto your Toolkit!
- Check out our Reward and Recognition pages – here you will find information on our reward schemes such as the KSCV, which rewards volunteers for completing set amount of hours and recording them on their Toolkit.
Can’t find something you like?
If you have searched through our opportunities, societies and sports and not found an activity for you, feel free to contact us at email@example.com. We currently have the following groups that don’t exist – although they would be easy to start:
- Amnesty International Group – Kent Union have a Canterbury equivalent.
- Unicef on Campus
- Environmental group
- Post Pals group
Student Led Volunteering Fund
GK Unions has set aside a £600 fund to be made available to students at Medway to assist with Student Led Volunteering Projects at Medway.
Medway Students who are setting up or running a volunteering project for the benefit of the community or fellow GK students can apply for up to £125 to assist the project. The application proposal is then considered by the Medway Volunteering Committee. Click here for the application for.
For further information on any of the above contact firstname.lastname@example.org