International & EU

If you're a Student with the University of Kent then our advisers are qualified to give immigration advice to international students.  Students studying with the University of Greenwich should contact their International Student Advice Service and they will be able to advise you accordingly.


The immigration advice that we provide includes:

  • a checking service to help with applications to extend your student visa
  • information/advice on registering with the police
  • guidance on working while studying
  • and much more

If your student visa is due to expire before you finish your studies in the UK, you will need to renew it and you should always submit your application to renew your visa before it expires.  Do not wait until the last minute, as you need to provide a number of documents to support your application and many of these documents are time sensitive.

There are busy periods for both us and the Home Office (normally September - January) so to try to avoid delays to your application you should consider applying to renew as early as possible.

If your visa has expired and you have not applied or been granted a new valid visa then you may be classed as an ‘Overstayer’.  If you have overstayed you should not consider making any application to the Home Office without first seeking advice from us or a relevant organisation first.  Do not contact the Home Office without getting independent advice first.

A range of information on extending your visa, applying for entry clearance from your home country, working in the UK, etc can be accessed via our parent Kent Union site.

Police Registration

If your visa states that you must register with the police, you must do so within 7 days of arriving in the UK.  Failure to register if you are required to do so is a criminal offence and could result in your removal from the UK.

This requirement only applies to students with certain nationalities.

If you are from one of the countries on the list, you should only be required to register if your visa is for more than 6 months. If you have a visa for less than 6 months and your visa states that you must register with the police, or you are not a national of one of the countries on the list contact us for advice, as it may be a mistake and we will help you get it corrected.

Kent Police Nationality Department provide a leaflet on the procedures for registering and where you must register.  Any new students should view here for this leaflet and for the University of Kent procedures on registering with the Police.

Once you have registered, you must notify the police of any of the following changes in your circumstances within 7 days:

  • change of address or educational institution
  • extension of your immigration leave
  • new landing conditions
  • new passport details
  • change of marital status

For details on how to register and how the registering system works please visit here, please be aware that you will need to arrange an appointment with the Police to register for the first time.  For help in just updating a Police Registration Certificate please visit the Advice Centre and we can provide you with details of how to do this.

When you leave the country for good, e.g. at the end of your course, you should return the certificate to the Police and inform them that you have left the UK.




Important information on what we currently know about how the Brexit decision effects EU students can be seen here via the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

As per the advice via UKCISA here you can still enter the UK freely and have an automatic right of residence for up to three months. After the initial 3 months you must be in the UK exercising the right to reside as a student.  In order to have a right of residence in the UK as a student you have to have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI).  Please view here for essential information about CSI.  If you do not already have CSI we recommend that you take out an appropriate policy as soon as possible.

You do not have to register to stay in the UK. If you would like to do so you can apply for a registration certificate to confirm your right of residence as a student. If you have family members who are not themselves EEA or Swiss nationals, you may want to apply for a registration certificate as this can make it easier for your family to apply for an EEA family permit or residence card. Having a registration certificate may also make it easier to apply for permanent residence in the future should you wish to do so.  If you did wish to apply for a registration certificate guidance on how to do this and the process can be seen here.

University of Kent students can view guidance their university is offering here and University of Greenwich students here.

You can also view a video from Free Movement regarding an EU settlement application below:


Still need help?